Burry Port RFC | 1st Team 20 - 20 Trimsaran RFC | 1st Team
Ben Williams
Conversion 2
Penalty 2
Aled Llyr Sims
Try 2

Match Report
02 February 2016 / Team News

Superb Fightback

Trimsaran made the short journey to Burry Port for a 1st vs 3rd clash in the league. After torrential rain the night before it was a surprise that this game was still on but it was a thrilling derby game as many thought it would have been. 

With conditions heavy underfoot Burry started the brighter team with them pinning the visitors back in their 22 with some superb kicking out of hand. This allowed Burry to slot over an early penalty and take a 3-0 lead. Trim had a penalty of their own after the visitors went through their own few phases but the difficult kick was missed. 

Burry again pinned Trimsaran back in their 22 with ill discipline proving costly for the visitors. The ref had enough of this and give captain Ryan Edwards a yellow card for to many penalties. Burry took full advantage of this scoring 14 points through 2 well worked tries in the 10 minutes that the skipper was off. Trim could have no arguments with the 17-0 scoreline at half time as they just didnt show much attacking threat against a well organised home defence and their discipline wasnt helping their cause with Burry looking the stronger team. 

Whatever the coaches said at half time seemed to work as Trim started the second half with a bange and after a sustained 10 minute period of pressure on the home sides 5 yard line the ref give Burry's number 8 a yellow card. The resulting penalty was kicked to the touchline and a driving maul was set up by Trim. After it was collapsed just short of the tryline a superb pass by Scrum Half Ioan Jones was caught by Flanker Lee Thomas who burst over the try line to grab Trims first points of the game. The conversion was successful through FullBack Dan Griffiths and  Trim were back in the game at 17-7.

The comeback was most definately on as Trim scored their second try with Burry reduced to 14 men through their Scrum Half Ioan Jones after some good work from the forwards. With the conversion unsuccessful it left the score at 17-12 with a quarter of the game remaining. 

Both teams traded penalties straight after another to keep the game a 5 point game. However Burry had another chance to extend their lead but the penalty was off target. This allowed Trim to get some key field position from the 22 drop out and with a turnover in midfield  , Trim shifted the ball down the right wing where they made some good yards. The forwards took it through the phases and then some good hands by the backs resulted in a 2 on 1 overlap being created and it was Center Rhys Evans who was on hand to get over for the try which brough Trim level in the game. 

The score was 20 points each with 5 minutes left in the game. Burry had one final chance to win the game but fell short with another penalty. Trim 

The ref blew for the final whistle and Trim secured a draw . Although Trimsaran will be happy with securing themselves a draw from what looked like a losing position at half time the visitors were unlucky to sneak the win in the end after dominating for much of the second half. In the end however the draw was probably the right result with the game having a tale of two halves with Burry Port dominating the first half and Trimsaran dominating the second half.

The 2 points takes Trimsaran 2 points clear at the top of the league , however the teams around us do have games in hand due to the awful weather we have had. 

Next up for Trimsaran is another huge game with Llandeilo visiting Caeffair on the 20th February. 


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos